Should breastfeeding be stopped while on Tonoferon to treat iron deficiency in a child?

Question
Sir,
My son is 10 months old, his HEMOGLOBIN IS 11.3 (SUGGESTED RANGE 12 TO 16). Our doctor suggested us to toally stop breastfeeding before giving TONOFERON drops. He says it will create poison in my sons body... This seems quite odd when every other doctor suggest to continue breastfeeding upto 1 year.. I am confused and qant to know from you tgat "Does giving TONOFERON PEDIATRIC drops for 5ml per day, we need to stop breastfeeding completely".. Or can we reduce the freqency of breastfeeding from 5 times a day to 2 times a day? Does it really create poison in my son's body? Please help me get out of tjis confusion..
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to stop or reduce breastfeeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Tonoferon is a good choice for iron supplement in child.

There is absolutely NO need to stop or reduce breastfeeding. It DOESNOT create any poison with iron.

The only recommendation is to give milk and iron atleast 1 hour apart so that calcium in milk and iron in syrup does not form complexes with each other in intestine. When they form complex, they do not get absorbed through the intestine. That is the only reason to give them apart.

Breast feeding can be continued as long as the mother and baby want.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Should breastfeeding be stopped while on Tonoferon to treat iron deficiency in a child? 1 hour later
Okk thanks... So if My son gets breastfeeding at 9 am in morning.. I can wait upto 11am (1 hr extra just to allow iron absorption).... That will work...SO NO SIDE EFFECTS OF BRWATFEEDING ANF TONOFERON IF WE MAINTAIN TIMING BETWEEN THEM MIN 1 HR....
Dont know why our pediatric suggested us to stop breastfeeding.. He is having 25 years of exp.. So we got confused a lot.. Your ans helped us.. We will continue giving breastfeeding.... Also doest the teeth becomes black after wr give tonoferon.. He asked us to brush my sons teeth...

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No side effects if gap of 1 hr

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Your baby's hemoglobin is very near the normal range.

Its ok to take milk and iron supplement with atleast 1 hr gap. Iron can be given with water or juice. Vitamin C in juice helps in better absorption of iron across gut. This applies to children and adults alike.

Yes teeth can become stained due to iron in iron supplements. It is advised to rinse the mouth or brush teeth after giving iron supplement.

Dr Vaishalee

Ok thanks... Is VICTOFOL good option instead of TONOFERON for iron deficiency?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both equally good

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Both preparations are equally good. You can give any of them.

Dr Vaishalee