What should be the reading for low diastolic blood pressure?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: How low is too low for diastolic blood pressure. 41 year old female. My BP is 116/61 I get dizziness symptoms and chest pains. Norm heart tests ekg, stress test and holter. Echo showed normal other than impaired lv relaxation. My B12 is 294 and i have low hemoglobin and iron stores. My diastolis is supposed to be a little higher right?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Low iron/hemoglobin causing dizziness&chest pains. Detailed Answer: Hi, Your BP is within the normal range. Please bear in mind that low diastolic blood pressure is lower than 60 mmHg; however, diastolic BP as low as 50 might be considered as normal as well. You are mentioning to have low hemoglobin and iron stores that can cause low blood pressure. Once your hemoglobin and iron stores are back to normal again, your BP will be optimized too. Furthermore, you won't have more dizziness and chest pains. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 43 minutes later
Is this serious because i always feel like im having a heart attack. How does anemia cause chest pain?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If anemia is properly treated,nothing serious.... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. It is not serious although you might be feeling like having a heart attack. However, if anemia is left untreated, it might cause serious problems indeed. When you have anemia, the blood pressure is tending to be lower. Many hormonal and mechanical mechanisms will make heart pump more blood to keep the blood pressure within the normal ranges. This is associated with increased heart rates experienced like chest pain. At the end, as long as you are treating anemia there is nothing serious in you. Dr.Benard
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 39 minutes later
Yes it feels like a stabbing knife in the center of my chest that radiates tingles down my arms, and i almost faint from fear! How much iron should i be taking? My doc says 300 twice a day. My b12 being 294, is that low?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload your lab results... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. I should have your test results before giving a precise dosage for iron intake. With regards to b12 of 294 is not low, it is within the normal ranges (200-900pg/mL). However, it all depends on the reference ranges of the lab. Looking forward to have your test results in! Dr.Benard
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 16 minutes later
I dont have all the iron study labs on me but i do know my hemoglobin in canadain val is 116, ferritin 8, RDW 15.4, low mcv and low mch. My hemoglobin and blood levels mcv have dropped since these results.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Iron 300 should be ok;other drugs highly advised.. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for providing the requested data. You are reporting to have a low hemoglobin level (116) although within the normal ranges (I should've the normal/acceptable ranges of your lab). Your ferritin level is low, while RDW (red cells distribution width) is high which is indicative for iron-deficiency anemia you have. The blood levels of MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin) are also related to anemia. As your ferritin level is 8, taking iron 300 /day would be great. I also suggest to take folic acid together with vitamin C and B12 (although your B12 level is ok). You can discuss it further with your doctor. Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Here are my labs before that were done. I thought i sent it but it didnt send.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Advised further consultation with neurologist... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. I have read all your lab reports, and I've noticed only demyalination of brain neurones for which, I strongly suggest to follow up with a neurologist. Otherwise, everything is ok. Your vit.B12 was perfectly normal too; while a hemoglobin level of 118 is considered normal in women. By the way, I did not see any ferritin results. Again, as demyalination was seen in MRI, the symptoms (vertigo, dizziness, lightheaded) could be also related to this problem. So, an immediate follow up with neurologist is needed for further evaluation. A further biopsy or examinations are also suggested. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj