Can costochondritis cause muscle twitching near the left ribcage?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Hi dr xxxxxxxx as requested I had blood panel done and they came back normal no signs of heart attack or enzymes I have a stress test set up tomorrow the ecg that was uploaded already I will ask him to take a look my question is I quit smoking 9 months ago and I worked out up till the beginning of oct and then got sick with back and knee issue so I haven’t really been consistently active at all I have also put on a bit of weight since quitting perhaps 7 pds can this make u winded since your out of shape .
Hello follow up to my original post I had my stress test and the cardiologist said no heart issues even though there was some non specific st wave abnormality
ECG non specific st wave
Stress test normal
Blood work traponin normal
Blood pressure normal
Cholesterol normal
I am guessing as in a previous question the left upper arm pain only in that one spot is tendinitis and Costco and fybro a response is appreciated
Tue, 22 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back on HCM!

I am glad that your tests resulted normal!

Coming to this point, I would agree with you that chostochondritis seems to be the most likely cause of your complaints.

Regarding the shoulder pain in one spot, it could be caused by tendinitis.

An inflammatory disorders could cause migrating joint pain.

From the other hand fibromyalgia can not be excluded either, especially if XRays and inflammation tests result normal.

I would also recommend performing vitamin D levels to exclude vitamin D deficiency, which could lead to joint pain too.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri

Follow-up: Can costochondritis cause muscle twitching near the left ribcage? 10 hours later
Thank you one more query for you I know we have muscles in and around the chest and rib area I seem to be having like almost a twitch under the left side of my breast rib area does not hurt or no shortness of breath comes and goes any suggestions for this again ensuring it is not cardiac related

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

As a cardiologist, I would like to reassure you that this twitch is not related to the heart.

You know that twitching is typical of muscles. So, it could be related to a musculo-skeletal issue or local inflammation, that leads to focal muscle contraction.

But, there is nothing to worry about your heart.

So, just relax and don't worry about it!

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can costochondritis cause muscle twitching near the left ribcage? 6 minutes later
Thank u so much it is nit painful but feels like the heart is twitching as it is in that region but u have assured me it is most likely costo muscle any suggestions for this

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

It seems to be a muscle issue, as I already explained above.

Local inflammation (as in the case of chosto-chondritis), as well as an electrolyte imbalance (like vitamin D deficiency or any other electrolyte imbalances), can lead to muscle twitching in this region.

Anxiety can also play an important role in all this clinical scenario.

Anyway, I would recommend checking your blood electrolytes and vitamin D levels, in order to exclude any possible electrolyte imbalance.

Inflammation tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate) are also necessary.

If all the above tests result normal, fibromyalgia should be considered as a possible cause of all these complaints.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Dr. Iliri