What causes breathlessness despite normal heart and lung test results?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am male 93 years young currently under treatment for bladder cancer cancerous material removed and now I am thru thte second of the six shot weekly program. my problem now is shortness of breath. my heart dr. just completed a neucular stress test said my heart was ok bacg 5 or 6 weeks ago I got lung ok from a n.j. hosp that specializes in heart &lung only got info off google by XXXXXXX lung assn. they mention symthons re shortness os cough, swellingof lower extremities.excess pllem all of which I have help please my nane is William teeling long ago us navy guy ythanks
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a fresh 2d echo done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should definitely get a fresh 2d echo done to rule out congestive heart failure (CHF).
Another possibility is bronchitis.
Both are common after chemotherapy.
So get done 2d echo for CHF and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) for bronchitis.
If it is CHF then diuretics will be needed.
If it is bronchitis then inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone) are needed.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D