Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

What should I do for the strong vaginal odor caused due to a forgotten tampon ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I Have been having this strong Vaginal odor for the last month I went to the doctor 6 days ago and he put me on flagyl and doxcyciline for treatment of BV and possible PID. I started my period today and have been vommiting for 2 days. The smell became quite strong today and I decided to invesitage turns out I "forgot" a tampon. It had been in there for a month now. Now that it's out I felt an almost instant releif but I'm worried about what kind of harm that just caused
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your medical question,

You are very fortunate enough that you have found the tampon. Better late than never. Though it is there for such a long time, you have not developed serious complications like vagina for so long.

Since the tampon is now out, and you already are having your period, there should be nothing to worry. You should see an improvement in your symptoms and reduction of the smell.

Please note if you have the following signs and symptoms:-

1. High grade fever.
2. Loss of appetite, fatigue, etc.
3. Purulent discharge ( Along with the foul smell that you were having).
4. Any abdominal or pelvic pain.
5. Any rash anywhere in the body.
6. Any bleeding from the vagina or any other part of the body.

In case you have any of the above, they would indicate a XXXXXXX spread of infection and this may need evaluation with blood tests, culture of vaginal discharge, and a ultrasound of the pelvis to rule out any foci of infection.

In such a situation you might consult your doctor and inform her about the tampoon and she will initiate necessary interventions and proper treatment.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have any doubts.


Dr Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor