What lifestyle changes should I make to keep diabetes and BP in control?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I have diabetes for last 6 years. Last test confirms 138 blood sugar during fasting but HbA1C was 6.1. I do take alcohol. but once in a while it crosses 180 ml. I try to walk every morning ( real fast ) for 30 mins. I do have a high blood pressure and I smoke also. What do you think about my way of life it should be
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You should completely quit alcohol and smoking. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your fasting blood sugar level is still high.You should try to keep it around 100 mg%.You may need dose adjustment of anti diabetic drugs.However it can also be controlled by further changing your life style.I presume you are taking proper precautions regarding your diet. But you must leave alcohol completely.It can be possible by strong determination. You should also try to quit smoking habit.Both of these will have devastating effects on your health.It will also effect your blood pressure. It is good you are doing morning walk.You should continue it.Also do meditation and yoga.It will help you a lot.Don't take stress in your life. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Kindly suggest daily diet in detail. I am a non veg. Regards. Chatterjee
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Balanced diet plays very important role in control of Diabetes mellitus. Calorie requirement of a person depends upon age, sex, height, weight, and activity level. Eating a consistent number of calories every day help to control blood glucose level and maintain body weight. You should eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and fruits like Citrus fruits,cherry,blueberry etc. Garlic,Pulses,Soya food and Tomatoes are also good for you. Take nuts,especially almonds and walnuts. Fish is good for you and use olive oil in cooking. You should avoid saturated and trans fats.You should avoid high-fat dairy products and high-fat animal proteins like egg yolk,liver,red meat etc. and take restricted amount of sodium in your diet. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX