How to confirm if I have schizophrenia?

Dr. Sourav Das

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, I just wanted to know If I do have schitzophrenia or not and Ive been taking these anti psycotic drugs since 2010 and Im not happy about it, when the CAT team came to my house back then, they where asking me questions and I told them that I have an influence over the football game and because of that Im on these drugs, just wanted to know If that is schitzophrenia or not
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: may have schiz, further details needed to confirm Detailed Answer: Dear, Thank you for your query. From your description, it is not possible to confirm if you have schizophrenia. Can you tell me in details about how can you influence the game. Also, it would be nice if you can elaborate a bit about CAT team visit. Hope to hear the details so that I can help you deal with your dilemma. Best of luck. Dr. Sourav.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 24 minutes later
this is a reply, back in 2010, I had an argument with my family over something and then the CAT team came and started asking me questions, I told them that I dont have hallucinations, delusions, paranoia or even harming myself, I just told them that I have some sort of control over football games when my local team plays and the outcome going my way in the game, thats what I told them, I dont know why they took it seriously back then, Ive been on tablets and injections ever since and Im going to see another doctor next month for another point of view and the Doctor I saw 2-3 weeks ago, I had a go at him because he believes that I dont have schitzoprenia now but back in the past I did and says that Id go to my other self again If I stop the drugs and Im not happy about that and plus the mental health appeal that Im doing next month or early the month after then though it is on the 28th but skipping it because of the Doctor that I wanted to see
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: appears to be schizophrenia,currently in remission Detailed Answer: Thank you for your reply. Delusion of control is a criteria using which a person can be diagnosed with schizophrenia, even in absence of hallucinations and other delusions. However, schizophrenia may remit after a single episode. If a patient would have come to me with your diagnosis, I would have examined him thoroughly for presence of any psychotic symptom at present. If none found, I would have gradually tapered down the dose of medications over 6 to 12 months, and kept him for periodic observation every 3 months or so, while requesting him to contact immediately in case any symptom arises again. I would suggest you to contact a psychiatrist for the same and request you not to stop the medications suddenly by yourself. Hope Ive been able to satisfy your query. Please contact me for further clarifications or else close the discussion and rate the same. Best of luck. Dr. Sourav.
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 28 minutes later
Im on CTO Community treatment order and on the injections and to be honest I dont think no one should be taking these drugs because it doesnt help, the Doctors all know that schitzophrenia, bi polar, depression cant be cured with drugs, we have to do it ourselves and we can do that, why are we forced to take these drugs for even though they know they dont work?
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 45 hours later
Brief Answer: drugs don't cure, but help control symptoms Detailed Answer: Thank you for your reply. You are correct when you say that the above mentioned drugs donot cure schizophrenia as of now. However, similar condition is found with Diabetes mellitus or hypertension. Yet people take medications for them, to manage and control their disorder. the problem is the long duration of treatment and unwanted side effects in some cases. Psychiatric medications help to reduce the severity of symptoms,induce remission or recovery, and prevent relapses. the drugs, if taken properly under appropriate guidance, help a person to take control of his life. I would suggest you to continue taking medications while discussing the issues of tapering off the dosing with your psychiatrist. You can also try your non pharmacological approach to reduce your symptoms along with the medications. Hope I've been able to satisfy your query. Best of luck. Dr. Sourav.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 21 hours later
In the bible, its against medication drugs, says that the only healer is us and no one else and the reason why we suffer from disease is because of how we take care of ourselves and is an act of sorcery and witchcraft! no one needs the drugs! and you cant disregard what the bible is saying in it!
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Modern day Psychiatry is not against the Bible Detailed Answer: Dear Cbraosvsky, I really appreciate your concern and faith in the Bible. Please try to consider the fact that Present day medicine or psychiatry is not against the Bible. In fact, research data suggests that those who have faith, have a better chance of recovery and lead a better quality of life than those who have not. However, please consider this, when Bible was written, Schizophrenia as a disease was not discovered. So in my opinion, The Bible can definitely be a guiding light in our day to day problems, helping us and strengthening us from within to deal with most of our crisis, but still, when the Bible is using the word 'disease' it does not necessarily mean Schizophrenia as such (because it was not even discovered at that time). I would request you to have faith in your self and the almighty, but please continue with your treatment under appropriate guidance. Best of luck. Dr. Sourav.
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 2 days later
WWW.WWWW.WW
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for sharing with me. Detailed Answer: Thank you. Regards and best of luck, Dr. Sourav.
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 22 hours later
Did you read the link that I posted? it says that even the lord doesnt believe thats its nessessary to take the drugs, god, we are spiritual and can do it ourselves, did you know that or not?
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer: everyone has the freedom to choose his way of life Detailed Answer: I have read the article. It supports your belief. You have full freedom to choose to take or not take medication from the ethical point of view. But I don't know the legal status in your country about whether it provides choice to a person with mental disorder about not taking medication. I would suggest you please consult your treating doctor regarding the same. Please remember ethically, a person has full right to choose what one belives in. No one can enforce one's belief onto other. If there are no more queries, please close the discussion. Best of luck. Dr. Sourav.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sourav Das 2 days later
If you dont want to believe that these drugs are doing harm, over 100,000 a year die from antipsychotics, they do too much damage to people's lives and your are one of the Doctors who know the truth of this but dont want to admit it or your just a fool, I know my facts well and I dont need no one to dicate to me about these poisonous substances and you think that If I get off the drugs that Id go back to my schtizophrenic ways again? the answers is that I wont and other people as well wont experience these effects, as long as they take care of their bodies and eat healthy foods and avoid preservatives then they wont experience these effects again so Im asking you why are you continuing to do what you do by giving out drugs to people when they should be adviced to take care of their own bodies in order to avoid disorders or diseases, thats what I would like to know, If theres something that your not telling about your secretive ways for society, then you better tell me in the following Email because I know these things are an abomination of the lord and god knows that
Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may close the discussion Detailed Answer: Yes, you may please close the discussion here. Wish you best of luck in your pursuits and wish you good health in future. Dr. Sourav.