How can psychosis be treated despite taking Risperdal?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My 37 year old son is having delusions and grandiose thinking. He is emailing
XXXXXXX XXXX, XXXX, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX etc announcing his engagement to a girl he has never met except in his mind. At age 20 he had a drug induced psychotic episode. He was put on Risperdal for six weeks. His psychiatrist that he was not psychotic but had a drug induced psychosis. Now 17 years later he lost his high paying job two years ago and his dog died three months ago and all the full blown symptoms have returned. He is "normal" 95% of the time. He is single and lives alone. It is at night that he sends these confusing emails. He refuses to go to a doctor. I think if he knew he could get this shot outside of the hospital, he would go for it and then have the presence of mind to see a psychiatrist on a regular basis.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

These certainly sound like psychotic episodes he is having. Given that they are episodic, they may be substance induced. Unfortunately involuntary mental health treatment can only happen if he goes to the emergency room. If he becomes psychotic again, and is doing dangerous things, the best thing to do is call 911 so he can be brought to an ER and potentially treated.

Dr Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj