Are psychosis episodes recurrent?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a psychotic break in 2/2017. Current dx is bipolar II. Long family history of mental illness but this came out if the blue. In your experience is this likely a one time break or will I likely deal w potential psychotic breaks from here on out? I'm 42
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is a possibility of second episode.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

After one episode of psychosis, the possibility of second episode of psychosis in future cannot be denied. But it is almost impossible to predict when it will occur.
In my experience, I have seen patients who have developed 2nd episode of psychosis even after 10-15 years of 1st episode.

When you have strong family history of mental illness, there is a high likelihood that you may develop a second episode in future.

Hope this answers your query.
Thanks