What can cause high fasting sugar?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Question: last night my 2 hr test was 139 after dinner. this morning while fasting it was 260. i immediately took my metformin. i know the liver releases something 5 hours after eating, should I not be concerned with a high fasting sugar, or when should I recheck it , now that I took my medicine? would after lunch be ok?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Get HbA1c , Tell me your metformin dosages Detailed Answer: Dear Friend High Fasting Blood sugar is due to 2 reasons : 1. Uncontrolled Diabetes. 2. Hypoglycemia (reduction in blood sugar levels) in night (might be unnoticed) Hypoglycemic symptoms during mid night are Sweating , palpitations , vivid dreams. Check with them. However , in your case , it seems to be due to uncontrolled diabetes. I suggest you to get Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c) , it will tell your average blood sugar of 3 months. And your dose modifications can be done according to the result. Reagarding your query in particular , taking metformin in lunch depends on how much metformin you take daily , and at what timings. Let me know that , i will help you. However , if you are taking just metformin , it usually doesn't cause hypoglycemia. Reply with the Metformin dosing schedule of yours. Good Luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D