What is the cause and treatment for urticaria?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: i am XXXX XXXXXXX age 49 yrs suffering from acute urticaria as initially diagnosed by doctor.
symptoms- at times feeling high itching sensation on full body, while scratching it leaves reddish marking with swelling on that place with more increased itching. I am suffering from this problem since 25 days.( i.e from 20 XXXXXXX 14)

TEST REPORTS-
- HAEMOGLOBIN : 13.9 gm
TLC : 6800
DLC: Netrophil 70%
Lymphocyte 23%
Monocyte 02%
Eosinophil 05%
Platelet count 1,85,000 c/mm
AEC 350 c/mm
Blood Glucose Fasting 110 mg
Post Prandial 116 mg
LFT Total Bilrubin 0.9 mg
AST 28 IU/L
ALT 22 IU/L
Blood Urea 30 mg
Serum Creatinine 0.9 mg

Request Advice
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is urticaria which is a type of allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Yes you are suffering from urticarial. It is a type of allergy. Allery can be to worms, temperature, pressure, friction or to some viruses. Many a times the cause is not known.

You may continue fexofenadine or change to levocetrizine. Also deworm yourself. If still persisting, a short course of oral steroids may help.

Change your bed linen frequently and put your mattress and other bedding in the sun. Let some fresh air in your room.