What do these following blood sugar levels indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I'll stat by saying i have had health anxiety for 17 years.
About 6-8 months ago i was showing my wife how to use a glucometer and noticed my fasting glucose was actually 127.
Since then i have checked it off and on.
Ive also done several H1C tests and postprandials 2-3 times per month.
My fasting glucose continues to show a trend of getting higher and averages about 140 but is up as high as 160 at times.
My A1C has been taken overal several months and averages 5.1 and has ranged from 5.0 to 5.3.
My post prandials are in the lower end of prediabetic range.
They average
1 hour post prandial 165
2 hour post prandial 122
They do fluctuate a bit depending on what ive eaten and 30% of the time they are within normal range.

My random blood glucose during the day is between 115 - 135 and it always drops to below 100 in the evening before dinner normally high 80's to low 90's.

Over the last several years my vision is getting worse, i get tingly hands and feet and ive recently noticed i dropped a little weight
( about 6-7 lbs). I did get concerned a few months back and cut out the 3-5 32 oz sodas i was drinking daily and switched to 1 coffee in the morning and water or diet soda throughout the day so maybe that has something to do with it. I dont eat meals during the day but eat 1 large meal at night.
Wondering if this is why my A1C is normal.
Right now im feeling a weird feeling i used to get with anxiety. Its a disconnected feeling like im looking 3d party through my eyes and some minor episodes of intermitent dizziness lasting very short, about 1/2 a second. This will happen at random at times during the day but not often, caffiene seems to cause it more. I also notice that old consistant feeling of anxiety hanging around. Clonazepam helps this a lot and sometimes it totally eliminates the anxiety and dizzy feeling and other times it reduces it about 90%.
I recently had normal labs on all my bloodwork 3 months ago(kidney, liver, pancreas, white cell counts, all normal). I had colonoscopy/ endoscopy 2.5 years ago that was normal.
My urinalysis was normal as well as an abdominal CT i had within the last year.
I had a doctors visit yesterday with GP about my high fasting glucose at 6:00pm and my blood glucose was 86. The doctors dont seem concerned but asked me to get more labs when it was convenient to be thourough.
I asked about increased blood insulin levels as hypoglycemia runs in my family but no one on either side of my family has been diabetic going 3 generations back.
Its all so confusing and i hate not feeling normal 100% of the time.
I did have about a year of major anxiety about 2 years ago where i felt many of these weird body sensations and perceptions.
Im still active and work and run my constructiin company.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your reports doesn't refer that you have diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately. Based on the history you have shared, let me reassure you that you don't have diabetes and it's a good thing that most of the tests that you have mentioned comes out to be normal. It can be pre diabetes or metabolic syndrome but currently your weight loss and other laboratory findings doesn't even supprt that.

However it's quite possible that some other cause of your physical symptoms may exist instead of diabetes like it seems as if you have only been focusing on one more than other possibilities. Like to start with thyroid profile, serum cortisol, B12, folic acid vitamin D levels etc can be performed as any abnormality in these can present like the same ways.

You can start by replacing essential vitamins and micronutrients like Vitamin B complexes and D3 alongwith folic acid and calcium etc. Other cause can be that anxiety is triggering such symptoms and using clonazepam may not be sufficient and long term therapy with selective serotonin re uptake inhibitors like escitalopram and others alongwith other anxiolytics may be needed and such can be discussed with a psychiatrist and a session with a motivational psychologist may also be helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D