What do these lab reports indicate?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Sir,
I am 59 years with no sugar and blood pressure problem . During routine yearly blood test, my Amylase and Lipase tests showed elevated levels. Amylase level showed MORE THAN 1000 in Thyrocare lab and 3661 IN XXXXXXX HOSPITAL LAB, BENGALURU. Lipase is also slightly high in one lab (77.2). Last year my Amylase was 169 and Lipase was 86. I have no abdominal pain and no digestion problem. Only slight heaviness in the left abdomen with no pain. Absolutely donot take alcohol and a non-smoker and a pure vegetarian and health conscious person. Ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis is normal. Serum SGOT is 38 and SGPT is 42. Serum Creatinine is 0.99. Average Blood Glucose is 117 and HbA1c is 5.7. I am worried about such abnormal increase in Amylase level. Request your opinion and guidance. Report is attached.
XXXX
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kidney function test?

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Amylase levels are usually increased in conditions involving pncreas,But in these conditions lipase levels will also be increased. But in your case lipase is not significantly elevated.Also you do not have any symptoms suggestive of involvement of pancreas and your scan shows normal pancreas.

Amylase levels are also increased in kidney failure and in a condition called macroamylesemia and diseases involving salivary glands.

Kindly get your kidney function test done.

Dr.R.K

Follow-up: What do these lab reports indicate? 26 minutes later
Sir,
Thanks for your reply. I give below the details of kidney function test done:
Calcium - 8.44 (normal range 8.8-10.6)
Uric acid - 4.38(normal range 3.7-9.2)
Blood Urea Nitrogen 9.73(normal range 7-25)
Creatinine - serum - 0.99(normal range 0.6-1.1)
Sun/Sr.Creatinine ratio - 9.83(normal range 9:1-23:1)
Sodium - 138.20 (normal range 132-146)
Chloride - 100.6 (normal range 99-109)

How to find out macroamylesemia and what is the remedy ? I jog 6-7 kms every day and hence take protein supplement after exercise. Does it have anything to do with this elevated level ?

What else I have to do to diagnose the reason and treatment for this OR should I ignore this ?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign condition

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

Your kidney function is fine.
Amylase creatinine clearance ratio should be calculated to diagnose macramylasemia.You can consult your doctor for the relevant tests and calculations.
Macroamylasemia is a benign condition and you can ignore it.

Dr.R.K