What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
Not ectopic or miscarraige. But needs assessment
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi wani. I will be answering your concerns.
Is the pain on right side or left side? Do you have fever, vomiting or urinary complaints?
This constant pain under rib cage can be due to gallstones. If the stone blocks the duct from gall bladder to pancreas then you can experience this pain moving down your back.
The pain can be due to kidney stones also. It is not the pain of indigestion. In that case you would have had bloated abdomen, diarrhea etc.
It is NOT miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.
In miscarriage the pain is in the middle of lower abdomen and pelvis and is often associated with spotting or bleeding per vagina.
In ectopic pregnancy the pain starts in the right or left lower abdomen. Later when the ectopic pregnancy leaks/bursts the pain may spread to upper abdomen and then it is extremely unbearable and often associated with vomiting.
Although the pain is not suggestive of ectopic or miscarriage you should go to the outpatients/ ER at the hospital to find the cause for pain and get treated.
I hope I have answered your concerns. If you have any further queries do write to me through Healthcare magic. I will be happy to answer.
You need to be examined. Go to the emergency unit in hospital.
At what week an ectopic ruptures depends on where it is located in the tube. If it is situated in the lateral part of tube ( isthmus or near fimbria) it may rupture/leak from 6 weeks onwards. This is the commonest location for an ectopic.If it is located in the medial part of the tube it usually ruptures later, i.e. after 12 weeks of pregnancy.
Yes it is true that you may normally urinate more frequently in pregnancy.
Shooting pelvic pain is suspicious of ectopic pregnancy. The right upper arm pain you are mentioning did it start at the shoulder tip? This can occur in rupture of ectopic pregnancy. Are you having any black outs ( fainting attacks)? If so please go to the ER urgently.
If you are otherwise fit, take 2 paracetamol tablets and apply some cold compress on the arm. If the pain doesn't subside in 30 minutes then again it is serious.
I hope I have answered your concerns. If you have any further concerns, do write to me.
Get an ultrasound done to know the location of pregnancy
Although your abdominal pain is decreased, brief shooting pains, especially the one you experienced after intercourse make me suspect the possibility of minimal trickling from ectopic pregnancy.
In up to 30 % of ectopic pregnancies there is no vaginal bleeding.
It is not normal to have shooting pelvic pains ( which make you jump) in pregnancy.
It is extremely important that you see doctor and have an ultrasound done to know the location of pregnancy.
Do you have any further queries. If so do write to me through Healthcare Magic.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of upper abdominal pain
- Snus causing upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and back pain during night
- What caused upper abdominal pain with occasional nausea and vomiting
- What causes upper abdominal pain and fever
- What are the causes for chronic upper abdominal pain
- What is the reason for upper abdominal pain
- Upper abdominal pain during period
- What causes right sided upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and rectal bleeding
- What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?
- What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?
- How to confirm date of conception?
- Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?
- Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
- What causes early period after having Postinor-2?
- Can TSH test be done after breakfast?
- suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus
- What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?