question-icon

What causes subclinical hypothyroidism?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: Hi, My daughters TSH level is 12.23; whereas her total T3 is 1.51 and total T4 is 7.70. Do I need to visit doctor immediately or get her re tested again. Also, what else test i need to conduct to confirm if there is a thyroid related problem
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Subclinical Hypothyroidism.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and your daughter's report. From the test results it is a case of subclinical Hypothyroidism. I assume that she is complaining of fatigue and is not taking any medicines. There is no need of re-testing the results. This is common problem in young girls. But further tests are required with a visit to an endocrinologist for clinical examination of thyroid and treatment if needed. Tests which are required:

Free T3
Free T4
Random Blood Sugar
Thyroid antiperoxidase or anti-thyroglobulin antibodies

If these tests results are impaired then diagnosis will be shifted to autoimmune (lymphocytic) thyroiditis and treatment should be started accordingly.

Hope i have answered your query, if you have any query, i will be happy to help.
You can contact me on my page http://bit.ly/1dYupT2
Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar