What causes sore throat, greenish penile discharge and burning feeling while urinating?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: hi doctor, could you please check my previous questions.... in addition to sore throat ..today I had new symptoms ive seen a Greenish discharge from the penis and Burning when urinating with lowet back pain ...?? I can't stop my self??
1. does this new symptoms give any indication about hiv infection....??
2. does this symptoms related to gonorrhea or other STD infection or just a stone on my kidney...???
3. I'm to scare from this, although I thought it's safe sex activity.....thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest a possibility of gonococcal urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

I have taken note of your query and I have also reviewed your discussion with Dr. Bharatesh.

As far as the nature of sexual contact is concerned ( 2 weeks ago) it did involve unprotected genital rubbing and therefore cannot be ruled out as completely safe even though there was no actual penetration involved.

Now that you have noticed burning on passing urine, urgency and greenish discharge from urethra.
These new symptoms and signs are very suggestive of Gonococcal urethritis.

I suggest you to take up a screening test for gonorrhea as well as chlamydia with a swab (NAAT test) as well as a gram's stain preparation from discharge to look for gram -ve diplococci

Treatment for gonorrhea is with a single dose of Oral Cefixime.
It is also advisable to also treat for chlamydia with single dose of Azithromycin, because gonococcal urethritis is frequently accompanied with non-gonococcal urethritis/ chlamydial urethritis (NGU).

Although the risk of HIV is very less but you may still take up a screening test for HIV at 1 month after sexual contact with a HIV DUO test (Combo test).
Most of the infected individuals will have detectable antibodies at 1 month of sexual contact.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
thanks for your answer, actually you didn't answer my second inquiry ...did this symptoms can indicate for hiv infection......please note also now the pain of burning when urinating after drinking water is less ...although my temp. is 37.8 through mouth .....dear the previous doctor confimed my hiv risk is nil....why you think now to screen for hiv??? please help
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk of HIV is very less and screening is just to rule it out entirely

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Urethral discharge is not indicative of HIV infection.

However, greenish/ yellowish discharge and burning on passing urine do indicate a very likely possibility of gonococcal urethritis.

Urethral discharge and burning on passing urine is not normal after a risky sexual contact and should be investigated.
You may take up a screening test for gonorrhea as well as chlamydia.

No doubt, the risk of HIV is definitely very less but since your short lasting sexual contact was an unprotected one, even though there was no actual penetration involved, therefore it is better to be sure by a screening test rather than to remain in limbo about the actual risk.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
thanks for your details answer, what the fever 37.9 could an indication of hiv specially my sore throat is recovered now and no rashes till now ...and the gonorrhea symptoms can be recover in this fast like as I said now I feel better during passing just slightly pain before ending ????

thanks slot,
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Testing for STD's is for your own peace of mind

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

HIV as I said is unlikely in your scenario because there was no actual penetration involved and therefore, there would have been no wear and tear involved for the microbe to enter through genital mucosa.

However, since you said that you have greenish/ yellowish urethral discharge along with burning on passing urine as well as urgency, therefore I asked you to treat for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Fever is not a sign that is in anyway suggestive of HIV.
Normal human body temperature measured from oral mucosa varies between 36.3 °C- 37.3 °C. Your body temperature is just slightly above the normal limit and is not a sign of worry.

There is not harm in testing for STD's and be certain about it rather than taking a chance by not testing and hoping that you are negative...

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
thanks my last inquiry, sorry for that does the gonorrhea cause fever after 18 days of my stupid exposure?????
Brief Answer:
Gonococcal urethritis usually does not cause fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Urethral gonorrhea usually does not cause fever unless it has disseminated.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 42 hours later
Hi again doctor, yesterday my bp drops down severely during the skin test for ceftriaxone no rashes, nothing else ...however the ER told me this symptoms of allergy and I should replace it....plz advice I'm not taking antibiotics now..????
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Azithromycin is an alternative

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Azithromycin is an alternative treatment for gonorrhea in cases who are allergic to ceftriaxone.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Actually for injection I need doctor prescription for it..and today off here...can I start by the tablet antibiotics and then end up by the injection...I don't want to not taking medicine today....thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to wait and let your doctor know about allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Azithromycin is also available as a tablet but it would be better if you could wait for tomorrow for a prescription.

The oral antibiotic that has been prescribed for 2 weeks belongs to penicillin group whereas ceftriaxone belongs to cephalosporin group.

The point here to consider is that penicilins and cephalosporins frequently cross react therefore since you are allergic to ceftrixone therefore you might also develop reaction to penicillins.

It would be better to wait till tomorrow and inform your doctor about allergic reaction.