What causes radiating pain in right leg and tingling sensation in both legs?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Dr,

I am 26 year old female, who has been experiencing pain for about five months now. In feb 2014, I had a kidney stone in my left kidney- which did not pass normally and I had to get a surgery to get it removed (cystoscopy with ureteroscopy with stent placement).10 days after my surgery (2 days after stent removal)- I started having pain in my buttock (on left side) and my left leg. At that point, any more kidney stones were ruled out- and dr told me i might have a pinched nerve in my back. So i went to see a orthopedist- who did an MRI and told me I have a bulge in my disc L4-L5 and L5-S1- 2mm each. Dr said that it might be pinching on my sciatic nerve causing the symptoms. He told me it should get better overtime with physical therapy and movement. But 5 months later I am still suffering with pain- I experience aches and pain in legs all the time- i cant walk much, my legs feels like i have walked miles even after i go for short walk inside the house.

About 1.5 month after initial pain, one night i started feeling pain in my right leg too. So for no new reason- i started having pain, burning and tingling sensation in both of my legs. Over the last month, I have also noticed stiffness in neck and pain in arms occasionally too.

One thing that I did notice which dr could not provide any explanation for is that- pain either occurs in my arms or legs in one time- if it is happening in my arms- it doesn't happen in my back, if it happens in my legs- it doesn't happens in my arms- seems like pain travels between my legs, back, arms, and neck- but mostly the trouble is in my legs.

So presently my pain is mostly in my buttock and legs- left leg being worse and constant tingling under the foot. I had all kinds of blood tests- with most tests negative except EBV and tested positive for mononucleosis in april.

From my symptoms- I am confused what I might have....is it a possible neuropathy from mononucleosis? Is it sciatica? or is it back issue causing problem? is it pinched nerve possibly caused by my surgery? or fibromyalgia- I get a different answer from every Dr- so i am confused.

I have done 5 months of PT, tried chiropractor, acupunture, nothing helped.

Tried neurontin- had allergic reaction to it. Tried cymbalta and lyrica- didnt help.

Now taking elavil-which help very slightly.

Can you give me some advice- what I need to do? or what could help me?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
First step is accurate diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. Thanks for describing in detail, as it is very useful.

The first step in management is accurate diagnosis and identification of your problem.

Based on the description, we need to exclude a peripheral neuropathy. It is uncommon for a pinched nerve due to slipped disc to affect both arms and legs. For the diagnosis of neuropathy, nerve conduction studies would be useful.

As you are young, we need to exclude vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) of the nerves as a cause of peripheral neuropathy, although, it can be related to viral infections.

I am sure the appropriate blood tests have been done, such as thyroid profile, ANA (antinuclear antibody), glycosylated haemoglobin, vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in