Blackened red eyelid, slight swelling, no trauma to eye, no vision disturbances. Causes?

I have a dear friend whom woke up one morning with a blackened/ red eye lid. There was a slight swelling but no tingle sensation/ numbness. The discoloration goes over her upper eye lid to almost her nose . She did not receive any trauma to the eye. There is no vision problems, and no other apparent symptoms? I am worried that this could be a secondary condition? I have researched this , and I have come up with no ideas. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Thu, 25 Oct 2012