What causes prolonged heavy menstruation?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I've always had inregular periods with 2-3 months between cycles, and they have always lasted 7-9 days. Well this month (sept, 9), I have had the "normal" cycle (ended on sept 18) and then about 4 days later( sept 22), another cycle and it is still going (oct 2), it's been very heavy with about dime to quarter size clots. The good sign is that it seems to be tapering off, slowly. I've consulted my reuglar gyno, but I can't get in for an appointment untill next month which is Nov. 5. I'm wondering If I need to go to like a urgent care and Just pay out of pocket. I have no history of pain with my period, or anyting, I have two children by c-sec and had my tubes tied after my daughter was born 12 years ago. I have regular pap smears yearly and have always been normal. I also had a cochlear implant a year ago and they did all kinds of tests before they would approve me for it. This is so out of character for me, but I will say that my stress has shot up, if this may be a part of the problem.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
polymenorrhagia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
Polymenorrhagia or frequent , prolonged heavy menses in an otherwise normal woman with normal previous menses generally indicate a possibility of either an exogenous health supplement recently which is hormonal in nature or it is either stress induced hormonal deficiency especially progesterone, or there is a likelihood of a possible intrauterine polyp which can be evaluated with an ultrasound pelvis.
So, at present to reduce the bleeding you can safely take TAB Tranexamic acid 500mg thrice a day for 3 days to stop/reduce the bleeding , but this is not the cure. You need to get a hormonal profile, ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial lining thickness and if required an endometrial biopsy as well to look for any endometrial hyperplasia on histopathology. These investigations would have to be ordered by your gynecologist and hence considering that appointment is in Nov , you may use antifibrinolytics as mentioned above for bleeding control and start iron supplements to prevent anaemia. If the bleeding doesn't get controlled with these even, then a visit to ER would be necessiated.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 34 minutes later
Well,
I'm already taking Iron Supplements, I always take them when I mensurate.
My next question is, where do I get antifibrinolytics, is that a prescribed medicine?
I guess if it is. then I need to go to a doc asap. If it doesn't stop By Tuesday, I will just go to a urgent care center or the ER if necessary.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is.

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is a prescribed medication and can be prescribed by a GP if you are unable to get an appointment with the specialist.
The course of action is as i have described earlier. But Tranexamic acid should be started soon.