Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

161 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes prolonged heavy menstruation?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1656 Questions

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I've always had inregular periods with 2-3 months between cycles, and they have always lasted 7-9 days. Well this month (sept, 9), I have had the "normal" cycle (ended on sept 18) and then about 4 days later( sept 22), another cycle and it is still going (oct 2), it's been very heavy with about dime to quarter size clots. The good sign is that it seems to be tapering off, slowly. I've consulted my reuglar gyno, but I can't get in for an appointment untill next month which is Nov. 5. I'm wondering If I need to go to like a urgent care and Just pay out of pocket. I have no history of pain with my period, or anyting, I have two children by c-sec and had my tubes tied after my daughter was born 12 years ago. I have regular pap smears yearly and have always been normal. I also had a cochlear implant a year ago and they did all kinds of tests before they would approve me for it. This is so out of character for me, but I will say that my stress has shot up, if this may be a part of the problem.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
Polymenorrhagia or frequent , prolonged heavy menses in an otherwise normal woman with normal previous menses generally indicate a possibility of either an exogenous health supplement recently which is hormonal in nature or it is either stress induced hormonal deficiency especially progesterone, or there is a likelihood of a possible intrauterine polyp which can be evaluated with an ultrasound pelvis.
So, at present to reduce the bleeding you can safely take TAB Tranexamic acid 500mg thrice a day for 3 days to stop/reduce the bleeding , but this is not the cure. You need to get a hormonal profile, ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial lining thickness and if required an endometrial biopsy as well to look for any endometrial hyperplasia on histopathology. These investigations would have to be ordered by your gynecologist and hence considering that appointment is in Nov , you may use antifibrinolytics as mentioned above for bleeding control and start iron supplements to prevent anaemia. If the bleeding doesn't get controlled with these even, then a visit to ER would be necessiated.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 34 minutes later
I'm already taking Iron Supplements, I always take them when I mensurate.
My next question is, where do I get antifibrinolytics, is that a prescribed medicine?
I guess if it is. then I need to go to a doc asap. If it doesn't stop By Tuesday, I will just go to a urgent care center or the ER if necessary.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is.

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is a prescribed medication and can be prescribed by a GP if you are unable to get an appointment with the specialist.
The course of action is as i have described earlier. But Tranexamic acid should be started soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Hormone deficiency

doctor1 MD

I have had very bad indigestion for the past week. The Pain in directly below my ribs. I also wake up in the night with an "anxiety" feeling and sensations again just below the ribs. I am not anxious. I just wondered if the 2 were related to some sort of hormone deficiency or even if an ulcer was present

doctor1 MD

i have been gone through the medical heatch check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with pitutary tumour 3 cms. My hormones level were near to zero as well as testesteron. I was under weight 55 kgs. Now after surgery my doctor has prescribed me medicines Thyromorn 75 1 tab in morning daily lifetime Wysolone 5 mg...

doctor1 MD

I have been taking warfarin for 26 months following PE's caused by an unknown bleed. I have recently changed to Xarelto 20mg, to avoid inr testing. I started taking Xarelto on Thursday 19th this week. I had a slightly pink vaginal discharge by the...

doctor1 MD

hi my age is 27/male.I am on Tab Valprol CR 300 and Valprol Cr 500 (morning/evening dosage) for the past 5 years. i am been treated for hormone deficiency as said by my doctor (Anger sometimes become violent) because of a failed relationship.will i have to be on medication for life????

doctor1 MD

my sister is 14 years old and she has a hormone deficiency that stunts her growth and halted puberty. the doctors took her in for an MRI and they told my mom that they found a mass on her brain. they dont know what it is and my sister doesnt know that they even have any results. when she finds out she is going to want to know whats going to happen and be comforted by family so i need to know what do you think that this mass could be, is it harmful and how YOU would proceed from just finding the mass.