What causes pressure under left rib with normal CT scan?

Excellent

Question
10.4 WBC count. Fasting glucose is 75 and 95 two hours after eating. No real pain in abdomen, but dull pressure just under left rib randomly. Does not specifically happen after eating. My stools are formed but easily break in the toilet. Not floating and no oil. I did have diarrhea last night and had dime size white foam on top. Maybe oil but only in the diarrhea. The more solid stools look wet so I do not know if it is oil or just water since the stools are loose.. when stool more solid no oil. Had ultra sound and ct with contrast and XXXXXXX Also had colonoscopy 3 polyps and diaverticlosis. All looked good. Could this be an issue with my pancreas and the enzymes? Very concerned. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Liver problem

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and history.
Problem you have mentioned is suggestive of liver problem. Fatty liver is most likely the cause of it. Most common causes of fatty liver is alcohol, hepatitis, auto immune, obesity.
As you have mentioned that you had ultrasound, CT scan and colonoscopy and all reports came out to be fine, there is nothing to worry. Consistency of stool will be fine once you change your diet and loose weight ( if more).
Problem be your pancreas is unusual and very unlikely.

If you didn't go for LFT(liver Function test) or lipid profile, then get it done and share the reports with me.

Hope i answered you.

You can directly contact me on my page http://bit.ly/DrGaurav
Wish you a good health.
regards
Dr. G. Katiyar

Follow-up: What causes pressure under left rib with normal CT scan? 23 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. My ALT is 79 and my AST is 40. Bilirubin levels fine. Ultra sound showed a fatty liver and ct with contrast showed no issues like cirrhosis. Glad to know fatty liver can cause the loose stools all the time......not diarrhea but soft and breaks up in toilet. Full diarrhea is not to often. Color is brown or golden brown. I am down to 228 today after weighing 257 last month. I was not losing weight either until I got on strick diet and started excerising. Been very concerned since it is not normal bowels for me and it has been like this a while. I will keep working on the weight. I have two tiny kids that need their father. I will lose the weight. This whole thing has been an eye opener to me and I hope everything is okay. Any other tests you think I should have the doctor do? Thank you again for a piece of mind!

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause is obesity

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.
So from your reports it is clear that main cause of your problem is obesity. And i am glad that now you stick to strict diet and exercise leading to weight loss. Yes, fatty liver is the cause of loose stools.
There is nothing that you should be afraid of. Don't stress yourself unnecessarily, everything is going fine and you will achieve required weight soon.

Since you are obese, i will suggest you to go for some more tests like complete blood count, kidney function test, thyroid profile apart from Lipid profile. You can get back to me with reports.

You can contact me directly on my page http://bit.ly/DrGaurav

Hope I have answered you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer, if you don't have further query.
Wish you a good health.
regards
Dr. G. Katiyar

Follow-up: What causes pressure under left rib with normal CT scan? 27 minutes later
Will do Doctor. I meant to add blood clotting, albumin, bilirubin, platelet count, and glucose are all in normal range. With CBC all was in normal range except WBC was slightly elevated. 10.4 was the count. Out of the WBC all were normal but monocytes were 1.1 so just outside the normal as well. All other WBC types are normal range. No thyroid test I saw. lipids, triglycerides have always been high. The level was 503 and hdl low 31. Could not get ldl count due to high tri's. Do not know kidney tests but Er doctor said kidneys are fine. Thank you for your time doctor it is very much appreciated!

Brief Answer:
these are expected results

Detailed Answer:

Thanks again for the follow up.
Your results regarding WBC, ALT, AST and monocytes can be ignored. They are not much significantly raised. Because of obesity lipid profile is deranged which is expected.

If treating doctor confirmed that kidneys are fine, then no need to go for that one. Tests will show how far you have been affected with obesity. Rest loose weight, eat healthy and do regular exercise.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gaurav Katiyar
For further queries you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/DrGaurav