• question-icon

What causes persistent throat inflammation?

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello?
What kind of allergy could have constant throat inflammation that's usually worse in the day? I have had two rounds of strep throat and my ent says my globus and throat inflammation could be an allergy or could be acid reflux. I don't feel like I have acid reflux at all, so I am wondering what could possibly be wrong or what allergy could I have?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think we need to rule out other causes

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query. In the absence of runny nose, itching in the throat, around the eyes and nose I wouldn't consider allergies as the first possibility. I will suggest that we first rule out the other causes of the constant throat inflammation.

Most common allergens that trigger the symptoms are pollen grains, dust, weeds, air pollution, pet dander, cold drinks, cold water, ice cream, smoking and alcohol drinking, etc.

To rule out other disease and to reach the near diagnosis you need to go for
1. Nasal endoscopy and oral examination to rule out rhinitis, sinusitis and tonsillitis.
2. X Ray PNS or CT scan PNS to rule out the sinusitis.
3. Serological test for allergens to rule out allergy.

Please send me the report of above mentioned test for further management or consult with your doctor.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 11 hours later
I have had two ent's that both say it could be silent reflux. I have had some relief from the Prevacid but my throat is still not 100 percent normal. I have been on this for less than a month
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the treatment with strict diet control

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your follow up query; and suggest you that continue the treatment with strict diet control. In the meanwhile discuss about the aforementioned suggestions with your ENT.

Strict diet control means---Avoid spicy food, citrus food, fasting and over eating if you have.

Thanks

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist