What causes painful itching in and around urethra and labia minora?
Itching around urethra
Welcome to healthcare magic,
Itching around urethra and labia minora could be due to candidiasis. Husband also could be having candidiasis. It could also be due to urethritis , allergic contact dermatitis to something you apply there, etc. You can do a urine routine and microscopic examination to rule out infection.
As the most common cause is candidiasis you may try candid cream local application twice a day along with an antihistamine like cetrizine 10 mg at night. If it is not coming under control you may approach a dermatologist for clinical examination.
Hope this helped,
Let me clarify my answer to you.
The possibilities in a case with symptoms like yours ( burning around urethra and labia in self and itching near penis in partner) could be
1. Candidiasis - This is an infection caused by a fungus. This is very common in sexually active young adults. This could also be associated with white discharge from the vagina,
2. Allergic contact dermatitis- This means that the skin has developed an allergy to some product / cream/ lubricating jelly,etc which you have applied. Since you have written that you do not use anything, we could rule it out.
3. Urethritis- This means that there is a bacterial infection around the urethra. But this will also be associated with burning while you pass urine.
These 3 are the possible diagnosis in your case.
But since candidiasis is more common, I would consider treating you for that first.
It is unlikely to be due to dryness. Dryness around genitalia occurs in older age group ( menopausal age) due to shrinking of lubricating glands in the labia due to age. In your age group, it is unlikely. Moreover, since your husband also has the symptoms, fungal infection ( Candidiasis) is more likely.
I would, therefore advise you both to apply the cream ( Candid cream ) twice a day for 2 weeks.
Keep the area dry. ( moisture favors the growth of the fungus).
You could also take the tablet as I mentioned earlier.
Hope this clears your doubts.
If you have any more queries, I would be glad to answer.
Dr. Johny Chacko
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What cause rash on labia minora
- What are the causes of labia minora color changes of darkening
- What causes a swollen labia minora
- What causes discoloration of labia minora
- What causes a large labia minora
- What causes very dry area on labia minora
- What causes darkening of labia minora
- Labia minora is swollen painful pimples what is the cause
- What would cause a bumps on the labia minora
- What causes a painful sore on the labia minora