• question-icon

What causes nausea and diarrhea after taking Prednisone?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 3rd day of taking Prednisone 20 mg. with food. Now it's 3 am and I'm up for 2 hrs. with nausea and diahhrea. Took 8 mg. of Zofran to stop nausea which isn't touching it. Severe pain at base of throat and stomach. 40 mg. was prescribed but only took 20. Very bad reaction. Will drinking cola help?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No drinking coal would increase gastritis drink ice cold milk instead.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query dear patient.
Have gone through your narration.

Prednisolone is a steroid and causes severe gastric irritation called gastritis.Large amount of acid is produced by stomach which refluxes back into food pipe causing severe irritation of smooth mucosal layer.Therefore as a rule of thumb steroids are always given with a proton pump inhibitor like Prisolec.
Severe pain at base of throat and stomach is called as heart burn.

For your query no cola won't help rather it would increase the intensity of problem as coal is also acidic in nature(contains hypophosphoric acid).

Start taking Prisolec 40 mg twice daily for one week .Its a proton pump inhibitor and would provide immediate relief in heartburn and gastritis.
An over the counter antacid can also be taken twice daily to provide symptomatic relief.

Prednisolone 40 mg is a very high dose so don't forget to take it with PPI'S aand antacids.

Why are you on such high doses of steroids?
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 3 hours later
I'm 69 years old and went to a sports med. doc and diagnosed me with Cervical Radiculopathy. I can't drink milk as I'm lactose intolerant. I had something similar to this and was diagnosed as a serious case of Gastritis and hiatal hernia. In the ER they gave me a GI cocktail that consisted of Mylanta, Donnatal and viscous lidocaine. My plan is to go to Urgent Care at 10:00 a.m. and possibly get a prescription from them for the cocktail. Does this seem like a reasonable plan to you? What other med would you suggest for cervical radiculopathy? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Your plan is good abd it would be better to take that cocktail every day before taking prednisolone.
However a proton pump inhibitor (OTC) like Pantoprazole 40 mg can also be used once daily.Its more effective with less side effects.
Keep a strip of pantoprazole always with you.

cervical radiculopathy is treated either by steroid or anti inflammatory drugs.So unfortunately we dont have many options but ask your doctor to swith over to methyl prednisolone instead of plain prednisolone.Its often better tolerated by patients.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist