What causes swollen and painful joints while on Prednisone for bronchitis?

Pulmonologist
Question
Took Prednisone & Azithromycin in early November for acute bronchitis. X-ray to r/o pneumonia vs bronchitis. NP couldn't hear breath sounds in right lung base. Was difficult to take deep breaths at the time. Advised chest CT - area of diffusion seen - which I haven't done yet. After 4 days: puffy face, swollen hands - so stopped steroid. NP advised as long a sx subside during day, OK. Now having residual s/sx I think. Wake up every day w/puffy watery eyes, swollen hands and during day into night edema of feet (mostly the right one) and calves - pitting edema by nightfall. Joint pain also present plus bronchitis seems to have exacerbated, increased congestion over night and increased coughing so still using Albuterol inhaler (maybe 2x/day) and Robitussin DM XXXXXXX Are these just s/sx of Prednisone side-effects or Should I go to ER?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
keep monitoring your situation for the time-being

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your concern and I can understand your concern.

Usually, steroids have side effects when they are taken for a long time and in high doses. In my clinical experience, steroids used for two weeks shouldn't have side effects in almost all cases.

Swollen and painful joints might be part of bronchitis too especially in viral ones.

I don't think these are side effects signs.Probably the infection is not completely gone away.

I recommend you not to get to ER but to discuss again with your treating doctor for your actual symptoms because he knows better your clinical picture and what to expect from it.

Chest CT is very important too in evaluating better your lungs.

Only if your symptoms get worse with such as difficulty in breathing then you should go for medical assistance in ER.

I wish a fast recovery for you

Hope to have been helpful for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda