How often can Prednisone be taken for recurrent inflammation in the hands?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lupus
Question: how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post reports of investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, Albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Do you have diabetes or hypertension?
Since when have you got the swelling?
Any probable diagnosis that your Doctor has told you and any relevant investigations?
What was the dosage and method by which you took Prednisone and how many times?
Any other information please.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
No diabetes or hypertension, swelling came back yesterday, I took 25mg of prednisone ended on Thursday, three pills three days two pills three days one pill three days
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Since there is no diabetes or hypertension you can certainly repeat the courses as needed.
Tapering dosages as you have mentioned called as short course usually does not cause any problems.
You can take vitamin D and calcium as required after the lab tests if one needs to repeat steroids.
Be on reduced salt whenever you take steroids.
Hence you can take the courses whenever needed in flare ups.

I hope this answers your query and helps you further.