What causes metallic vaginal odor while having sex?

Question
Had normal period a month ago but dark old blood for a few days after and then foul odor, not fishy. No real change in discharge. My doctor prescribed flagyl gel. Now when having sex with husband a foul metallic odor with light pink to dark brown during sex. It immediate stops spotting after sex and the smell goes away. Can I still have an infection? Last year had normal Pap smear and have never had abnormal
One. My GYN doc didn't do a pap this year d/t history and no problems. I'm almost 45 yrs old. No pelvic pain
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat pap and ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
It is common to have altered cycle and abnormal bleeding before, during or after periods but not after sex.
In my opinion you should get the pap test repeated and a pelvic ultrasound to see for endometrial thickness and ovarian pathology.
In case both are normal then nothing to worry as it is so continue with flagyl as prescribed and you will be relieved of the symptoms.
But in case anything is abnormal then you will have to get an endometrial biopsy to see for the cause and rule out cancerous transformation.
Wish you the best of health

Follow-up: What causes metallic vaginal odor while having sex? 52 minutes later
I had a normal ultrasound both vaginal and pelvic last week. I finished the flagyl almost 2 weeks ago. The odor is so profound after sex but during the week no odor or discharge in underwear and with sex this only happened 2 times. Can a infection still exist after medication is done? I'm scAred of cervical cancer but then I hear it is slow growing and I've had regular paps throughout my life with no abnormal results. My husband felt something rough and dry or like something was in my vagina wall this week?

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
visit a gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello its good that you have had normal Pap smears so far.
Yes this infection can persist and especially if your husband was not treated for infection simultaneously.
In my opinion visit your gynecologist and get a pap smear along with per speculum visual examination of cervix and vagina.
It will diagnose infection if any and status of cervix and thus rule out XXXXXXX pathology which can cause such an odor.
One more reason for all these things can be atrophic vaginitis which can cause all the dryness and bad odour and will be gone in case estrogen creams are used.
In case you have other questions I will be happy to help.