What causes herniated disc, back pain, numb toes and frequent urination?

Posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Im a 40 year old with 3 young children, I have a prolapsed (herniated disc) L4 and L5. I was rushed to hospital 14rh July this year as the pain in my back was so bad, radiating down legs, numb toes, burning sensation in foot. I also had been having frequent urination. I was made to lie flat And not to move after a bladder scan revealed I was retaining urine after I had just been. I ended up having MRI scan day after and it revealed the above and the surgeon said there was nerve compression and decided to do a spinal epidural injection under x-Ray. I was pretty much back to normal after one day but 2 weeks on the pain returned and the other symptoms. I am booked in for further steroid and epidural injections on Friday. Since last week however I have experienced frequent urination after I get in to bed (I'm pretty much on my feet all
Day with the kids) as soon as I lie down within half hour I start going to the the toilet and then end up going Between every 10 and 20 mins. I also have had stomach problems for about 2 months. A excruciating pain in the lower left hand side of my abdomen (i can almost pinpoint it) with radiAting pain in my back almost directly behind it... I was rushed to hospital with this before my back went And ended up having lots of tests and seeing different constants, gynaecological, general surgeon, bowel man, I have had ultrasounds, CT scans with XXXXXXX and nothing has appeared on anything, the latest being sent back to a gynaecologist who wants to now do a laparoscopy on 3rd sept. I am now wondering after reading up on the net if this maybe all connected to my back injury? I would be grateful if u could advise, many thanks XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
L5-S1 should not cause abdominal pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Though thoracic spine diseases are well known to cause abdominal pain but L5-S1 pathology is unlikely to cause it.It has no anatomical or physiological basis,nor we see it in clinical practice.
Is your abdominal pain persistent round the clock?
A possibility exists that you may be having diffuse spinal involvement and thoracic spine,may be involved.Did you get your MRI dorsal spine done?If yes,please upload it and let me have a look at it.If not,please get it done.

Further,along with epidural steroids and antineuralgic medicines(like pregabalin,duloxetine,amitriptyline),methylcobalamin and calcium/vitamin D supplementation,spinal exercises(physiotherapy) have a very important role to play,at this stage.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist