Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a problem between L2-3 . disc is worn out. I stretch all the time , have a inversion table.
I am a bit overweigh. I'm a metal fabricator and lift all the time. I were weigh belts all the time when working or doing anything at home to protect myself. Using anti-inflamitory pills work good when needed.
Really gets rough end of big work day, back tightens up !!! hard to move around. I practice martial arts from
age 12 till 27 and again from 37 to 42. I know how to stretch.
doctor says loose weigh and we will see. Why cant I be fixed now. This is veryaggravating.
Had mri and it shows how worn the disc is. I have a very high threshold for pain but do I have to wait a year maybe more to prove I'm worthy candidate . Whats up?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The management of disc disease and prolapse is conservative initially.
Pain killers with pain modulator drugs are used along with physiotherapy and precautions.
Gabapentin, pdega balon or amitriptyline is used.
Surgery is reserved for cases with neurodeficit or unresponsive persistent severe pain.
You should visit and consult a neurologist or neurosurgeon too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
You did not answer the question. I did not pay $35.00 for a deflective answer.
I have already seen neurosurgeon. Please answer the question or give me another doctor.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult and visit a second neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:
You should consult a neurosurgeon with images of mri for evaluation regarding operation at present situation.
If the present treating doctor is not helpful to you, you can get a second opinion too.
You can also upload images here for evaluation as report is not sufficient for giving any surgical advice.
Kindly upload the prescription of previous treating doctor.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj