What causes hematuria post a TURP surgery?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: About 3 months ago I noticed a tiny blood clot released during urination. Since that time it has happened 5-6 times, occasionally with a little blood in my urine. I had a TURP procedure done about 7yrs ago. Yesterday, I noticed it again after 20 minutes of yoga earlier in the day. Am in generally good health, and am sexually active (one partner). Do not feel anything unusual in my groin area.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to recurrence of enlargement of prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are likely to have recurrence of enlarged prostate .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have obstructive urinary symptoms like frequency ,urgency,nocturia ?
2) How is your urine stream ,?Is it poor ,moderate or normal ?

The recurrence of enlargement of Prostate few years after TURP surgery is known.

The hematuria that you have could be due to recurrence of enlargement of prostate however other causes of hematuria like cancer of the Prostate or Prostatitis need to be ruled out .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 days later
No urinary symptoms and I would describe my stream as moderate.
I am planning urinalysis next week.
Should I drink more or less fluids than normal?
Diet changes?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound Scanning will help to rule out recurrence of enlargement .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Get Ultrasound scanning done to rule out recurrence .

Urine analysis will help to rule out UTI .

Drink more water to keep urine dilute .

No specific changes in diet .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr,Patil.