Ask a Urologist   »  

Can UTI cause incontinence post invasive posterior lateral hip placement?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My 85 year old father underwent a minimally invasive posterior lateral hip replacement 15 days ago and has done well . Last night he was up 4 times urinating and found it difficult a few times makiing it to toilet without wetting pants. He does not have BHP and hd been only urinating at 3 Pm once. I thought it was due to , the increased swelling in the leg adn resting with leg elevated and thought the excess fluid ws making it back to the bladder causing him to get up and urinate . Now with him going 4 times and wetting self a little before making it to toilet think maybe he has UTI . Was I and O catheterized right after surgery in hospital. No burning on urination and Pt voiding alot each time . Should he call Primary care MD for f/u at this time to be safe
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reduce fluid intake at night ,alkalize urine and see below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Increase in urination is most likely to be due to Urinary tract infection which may be of mild degree only not causing burning.
I would suggest reduce water intake particularly at night , give him alkalinizing agent like alkacitrol , and get urine examination for routine , microscopy and culture sensitivity.
Leg edema is not good , it does not cause increased frequency of urination.
If you feel after a day or two that the condition is persisting , then take him to ER// Your physician.
hope to hear good results soon.