What is the cause of blood in urine without stomach pain or burning sensation?

Hi. I'm a 37 year old female. This morning i saw lots of visible bright red blood in my urine, but have no pain in my stomach or burning sensation whatsoever. Went to the doctor office this afternoon where they checked for UTI infection but the test came negative. Blood wasn't visible like in the morning but there were microscopic trace in the sample. They said they will send my urine sample for culture and suggested that i will go for a stomach ultrasound. What can be causing the blood in the urine especially that there is no pain. And should i do the ultrasound now or wait until the culture result comes back? Thank you
Tue, 11 Feb 2014

Thanks for posting on HCM,

You are experiencing the symptom known as hematuria which could as a result of one of multiple causes. Complicated UTI is just one of the causes but it is not always in all instances that it maybe the cause. I have had many instances with patients that will present with hematuria without any other symptoms and end up determine the presence of kidney stones. Kidney stones can indeed exist without any pains and the only symptom present is hematuria/blood in urine. Hematuria can be caused by menstruation, vigorous exercise, sexual activity, viral illness, trauma, or infection, such as a urinary tract infection (UTI). More serious causes of hematuria include
- cancer of the kidney or bladder
- inflammation of the kidney, urethra, bladder,
- polycystic kidney disease
- blood clots
- blood clotting disorders

I am of the opinion that you do an abodminal and pelvic ultrasound. You will have to in the mean time, drink some much clear fluids while waiting for the culture results. This will help flush your kidneys in case of any stones.

hope this helps

hope this helps