Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes severe itching and hematuria in an elderly person?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9587 Questions
I had a bad bladder infection where only blood and put me on macro if..taking it 2 times daily. Now have severe itching and pressure to urinate..very uncomfortable...still taking the pill, will see dr again on Tuesday, but this is.saturday and I don't know if this is vaginal or urination..burning. The doctor also gave me Premarin vag cream, but o lay used it once, then tje bladder infection happened. I'm 77 yrs old and a widow..I need help. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up .

Blood in urine (Hematuria ) is an alarming symptom and can be due to either infection of bladder (Cystitis or due to mass in bladder which needs to be investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy).

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean while continue taking Macrobid along with Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .

Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine dilute .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor