What causes heart burn?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I need to speak with a gastroenterologist about a heart burn issue. I am scared I have something bad.I had a Upper Endoscopy done in 2012 and 2013 and they were normal but just found a hital hernia.

Should I be scared something bad has formed since then or does something bad take a long time to form?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Why do you think something bad would happen?
What symptoms you have now?

Dr.R.K.

Follow-up: What causes heart burn? 8 hours later
I XXXXXXX been having bad heartburn or burning in my chest for two weeks now. Taking omneprazole and doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot.

I also have an old medrol pack I had and started taking that too thinking I had some kind of inflammation. It has never lasted this long before.

Just scared is all and didn't know if I should be

Oh also will tell you this. I has a abdominal and pelvis CT scan 6 months with contrast as everything was normal in that too. I was sent to that for my appendix but on any account all other organs were viewed and normal too like pancreas, gallbladder, liver, intestines, bladder etc

I had a colleague die of esophageal cancer and he was young around 40 years of age. Thats always in the back of my mind.

Someone told me that if I dont have Barrets then all that has been ruled out last year and this takes some time to form. And if I do have Barretts then I would have a scan every 3 years but I dont need one for another 5. Maybe you can answer all of these questions.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
You need not worry.
According to you, the last time you had an endoscopy test, it was very much normal except for the harmless hiatal hernia.

Now you are having heartburn which is a symptom of acid reflux disease. You can continue taking omeprazole. You also need to avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, cola, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, onion, chocalates for complete relief. You need to have only smaller meals and go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

It takes decades of uncontrolled acid reflux to cause Barrett's esophagus. And it takes years of Barrett's esophagus to develop in to cancer.
the previous endoscopy did not show any lesion suggestive of Barrett's esophagus. So there is no need to worry. You do not need any regular surveillance endoscopy.

If there is cancer you would develop other symptoms like difficulty in swallowing and food getting stuck up in the food pipe.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Follow-up: What causes heart burn? 28 minutes later
Couldn't what I have been esophagitis? So you're saying I should not worry because I had a normal endoscopy be last year? I also had an upper G.I. done in 2012 that was normal as well.

If I do have esophagitis how long does that take to heal?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
If you have esophagitis, you will have the symptom of painful swallowing.

There are many different causes of esophagitis and the duration of treatment depends on the cause.
If it is due to acid reflux disease it may take 2-4 weeks to heal depending on the severity.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.R.K.

Follow-up: What causes heart burn? 49 minutes later
So I should not worry about anything bad?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need not worry.

Detailed Answer:
No need to worry about anything bad.