What causes persistent cough despite post treatment for strep?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Infections
Question: I had and was treated for strep. It has been a month, and I still have a lingering cough. Why is the cough hanging on? Have you had similar inquiries from other people?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest to do a thoracal CT scan if the cough is more intense than befo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history you should know that lingering cough could be caused as a result of pulmonary problem or from other reasons, not infectious related like allergy, thyroid problem or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
Do you have other symptoms during this time and what kind of cough you have dry or with phlegm?
I suggest to do a thoracal Ct scan if the cough is more intense than before.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 41 minutes later
The only other symtom is sometimes I feelmucus in back of throat at times. Cough is dry, and not intense. Sometimes I feel fine. Other times I et a tickle and feel the need to cough. Could it just be post nasal drip?g
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be post nasal drip.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Based on that you have a dry and not intense cough I think it could be caused from post nasal drip.
You should do a control as well for sinusitis because of the persistent mucus in back of throat.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.