• question-icon

What causes fever along with severe night sweats?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I am having severe night sweats, taking 4 advil alternating 4 tylenol, fever 102 or higher without reducer. fever in belly button. Sinuses are clear, no coughing, no diarrhea, I am diabetic but my sugar is ok.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
viral infection? urinary tract infection?

Detailed Answer:

this symptom (fever) is too broad to approach without other information, so I'm going to ask a few questions that will give me a better idea of your condition. Please use your follow-up questions to post the answers.
- when did the fever start? Did you have any symptoms before the fever (like flank pain, burning pain during urination, etc) ?
- what do you mean by "fever in belly button"? Is your belly button too hot? Is there any redness or pus coming out?
- Do you have pain anywhere in your body?
- Do you have any important medical history besides diabetes?
- Do you have rigor with the fever? Rigor means excessive trembling with rattling teeth.

In many cases an unexplained fever is caused by common viral infections that get better without treatment. I can't say whether this is your case or not. A urinary tract infection for example can present with the same symptoms and only testing may reveal the diagnosis.

I'll be glad to continue this discussion when I have more information...

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 minutes later
Thanks for trying to help me.
No I do not have rigor. No major pain other when fever is high. No other major issues other than diabetes. I have never had this belly button thing before, so I don't know if it is germane or a red herring. using mupirocin sauve. This has been going on for 6 days now. I dont generally get sick at all. I can upload my recent blood work if you like.

No UTI. Does not seem like viral.

my scanner is not working.. only thing off was my liver tests but they have been off for the last year. I tend to drink more than I should.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an infection is likely

Detailed Answer:
So the onset is recent (6 days)... in such cases the most common cause is an infection. Other potential causes like autoimmune disorders or malignancies are usually considered when the fever won't go down for many days or weeks.

When a symptom coincides with fever, it's clue. I wouldn't consider a red, painful and swollen belly button a red herring. If it looks like my description then it can be full of pus (an abscess). Such cases are typically without fever at first but if the infection spreads fever is not impossible.

Other things to consider do include a urinary tract infection or a viral infection despite the lack of symptoms, as these infections may present with fever only. A urinalysis is sufficient to exclude most cases (but not all) of urinary tract infections. Viral infections cannot be approached with common tests. We usually exclude other (more serious) causes first.

General tests (biochemical panel), a complete blood count and inflammatory markers (like the ESR and CRP) would help for the assessment. A low CRP for example can be reassuring sometimes although this is not always the case and the doctor has to evaluate all clues together. You've mentioned some tests. If the tests were done before your symptoms started then they're not of much use...

In any cases, since you're diabetic and diabetes predisposes to more serious outcomes, it's better if you visit your primary care physician for assessment. 6 days is a lot of time for common infections. You should have been better by now. Since your condition does not seem to get better, it would be wise to try to get a diagnosis.

I hope it helps!
Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome,

best wishes!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis