Suggest ways to manage Lexapro withdrawal symptoms

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I feel dumb for asking these questions but I am at a loss .All of my life I have been relatively healthy 5-11 180 pounds. over the last year something has gone terribly wrong not sure if it is anxiety which I am told it is,by my some of my Dr's . Cardio ,Behavioral counselor, neurologist ect. I am consumed with my worry over health as you can tell by past post.Here is the deal( I wanted off) lisinopril I thought it was a bad drug ,Dr agreed to change it to Metoprolol and Hydrochlorine well after 2 weeks my b.p raised to 154 over 90 I emailed him and he told me I could resume lisinopril Bp seems normal now.This leads me to believe I am having side effects from the Lexapro that I have taken for 8 months for this anxiety .Weak arms and legs ,dizziness,headaches,night sweats, ringing in ear ,terrible sleep ,restless,pressure in head ,just plain out of it feelings of no body control.I told this to my counselor she said raise the dose of Lexapro from 10 to 15 mg daily .Instead I went to 5mg .what am I to do the withdrawal could be bad or taking the drug could be bad .I for some reason am consumed with my heart my cholesterol total is 195 I am still at 28 on vitamin D.If none of this is my problem what can it be I am lost here . I really want to know if the problems are the pills or my brain .
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lexapro side effects most likely

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question in details and I understand your concerns,

However, all the symptoms you are experiencing are reported side effects of Lexapro including the ringing in the ears, trouble sleeping, headache, weakness of extremities, confusion and restlessness...

Since you have reduced your dosage by half which is not recommended while stopping Lexapro as it is recommended to decrease the dose by only a quarter every 2-4 weeks to minimize the withdrawal symptoms which include irritability, dizziness, anxiety, headaches, insomnia, agitation, tiredness, confusion and a burning or tingling sensation...

I hope you'll find this helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee