What causes excessive sweating and muscle aches?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: excess sweating, sore muscles with out exercise, no fever. i'm 68. weight 280. Blood pressure 120/72. I have diabetes. Sugar runs 170-200 without medication.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypothyroidism and hypoglycaemia most likely, other causes also possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Your symptoms can have a long list of possible causes, but the closest and most common conditions that any doctor would think of based on your presentation and current state of health are:

+Hypoglycemia: Drop in blood glucose level (confusion, sweating, lethargy, sore muscles, etc.)
+Hypothyroidism: Under functioning thyroid (symptoms like fatigue, weight gain, hair thinning or hair loss, sore muscles, excessive sweating, etc.)

There are of course other causes, but as you were wondering what the doctor you met was suspecting, I have listed that out for you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
blood sugar has never tested low so I doubt if that's the problem. What are the indication of hypothyroid. Are there tests to definitely confirm that this could be the problem? Are there things that could be aggrevating the thyroid? Are there things to try to encourage the thyroid to work better.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hope this helps.

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Blood sugar levels can fluctuate, especially in a diabetic so it is best to always get it checked and rule out hypo or hyperglycemia.

As for the indications of hypothyroidism, I am guessing you mean the symptoms:

+Lethargy or fatigue
+Weight gain
+Cold intolerance
+Thinning of hair or loss of hair
+Sore muscles
+Feeling tired all the time
+Puffy face
+Dry skin
+Constipation
+Impaired memory
+Hoarseness of voice
+Irregular or heavy menstrual cycle
+Dry skin
+Sweating
and a few others.

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid):

+Increased thirst
+Sweating
+Irregular menstrual cycle
+Fatigue
+Thinning of skin
+Difficulty sleeping
+Changes in bowel pattern
+Sudden weight loss
and a few others.

Yes, you can go ahead with a thyroid profile which is a blood test that includes checking of thyroid hormones (T3, T4 and TSH) to determine your thyroid health.

Yes, it could be diet or various other causes.

Yes, medications are easily available to help treat thyroid abnormalities. Dosages to be decided based on your thyroid hormone levels.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.