What causes excessive sweating in an elderly person?

Dr. Muthu Krishnan

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: excessive sweating in men age 75
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have to do some investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.I have analysed your query.My opinion is that you should check your blood sugar, thyroid profile, blood pressure etc.,
Diabetes and hypertension are the main diseases causing excessive sweating in your age group.Other causes for excessive sweating includes heat exhaustion, hyperhidrosis etc.,
Thank you.
Feel free to write your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 18 hours later
do you know of any medications to request.
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
After diagnosis of the disease only I can prescribe drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.I have analysed your query.
You should do some investigations as I said before.Based on the reports only,I can find out whether you have diabetes or hypertension or thyroid problems.Then only I can prescribe drugs to you.
Thank you.
Feel free to write your questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 hour later
Thank you very much. I was informed to look up New England Medical Journal
written by Dr. XXXXXXX Abrahms had reccommended the drug Oxybutin.
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think it is not good to take that drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.
Oxybutin is a drug which decreases the body secretions.If I were your I won't prescribe oxybutin to you.I will order for blood sugar examination and thyroid profile.Based on the reports,I will treat you.Oxybutin will correct the symptoms only,it will not treat the underlying cause.
Thank you.
Hope my answer will help you.