What causes elevated AST and ALT levels after having Advil?

Question
I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, fibroids and PCOS and have been scheduled for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy surgery next week. However, my liver enzyme levels came back as ALT=86 and my AST=142. Because of the amount of pain my periods have been causing I have been taking a lot of Advil and Tylenol. Is there a chance that they can not operate to fix these problems because of these levels?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Levels need to be rechecked.

Detailed Answer:

AST and ALT can rise with the medications that you have used to get pain relief. As the elevation is mild, the values need to be rechecked before proceeding for any higher investigation. Muscle damage also can lead to high values of these enzymes.

You will need reassessment of these enzyme levels after completely stopping the pain relief medication for at least a week. Coagulation profile also should be done simultaneously. If the values tend to decline after reassessment, your doctor may proceed with the surgery; else, may need to wait for some more time.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes elevated AST and ALT levels after having Advil? 11 hours later
Do you feel those levels are too high for a laproscopy?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

I do not think these values would be high for a diagnostic laparoscopy, but, if any operative procedures are planned, it would be better if you can wait until they come down.

Hope I have answered your query. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.