What causes dizziness along with headache?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I went to bed last night and the same when I got up this morning and it felt seemed as if objects were spinning slightly as I tried to focus... Iv had a headache for over 24 hours, Iv had this two mornings in a row, now we're iv focused on something and it seems like it's moving.. Now that I'm up I'm fine but is there something to worry here?, I'm 24 no other symptoms, never had this before
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

If by worrying you mean some life threatening condition which needs urgent care I would say that there is nothing alarming in that description, not in the absence of other symptoms. If it is a single isolated episode I don't think any tests and investigations into it are necessary. Might have been simply a slight transitory drop in blood pressure when changing position which is common.

If it is a repeated event then some causes which might be investigated are anemia which can well justify lightheadedness and some headache, sugar or electrolyte imbalance. They can easily be checked with a routine blood test.
An EKG and a blood pressure measurement (supine and standing to check for orthostatic hypotension - excessive drop of blood pressure when switching position) might be recommended as well.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 18 minutes later
Thank you for such a quick response, well the part were in focusing were I use the term as spinning has only happened when iv been getting up in the morning, once I am up and during the day I have no problems at all, although I have had this headache for just over 24 hours. With me having that twice it has worried me a little, I have took no medication for the headache as I wasn't sure whether it was best to see my GP first??, because of the chronic headache and the spinning I felt rather concerned that it was something serious
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional info.

If it is a true sensation of spinning you feel/felt, to the previous causes an inner ear dysfunction might be added as well, a common cause of vertigo. Check also your temperature might be the initial stage of a flu as well. Anyaway as I said no reason for panic.

As for the headache it is good to be prudent with drugs, but you can safely take over the counter drugs, like paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain, they are sold over the counter (without prescription) because they are safe to take for mild pain, especially paracetamol.

If the headache and spinning persists it would be good to be checked by your GP, but in the meanwhile you can take the painkillers I mentioned.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Thank you once again, the only additional symptom I can add is tiredness but I'm assuming it could be because of the headache etc, il try some medicine and then if not il go see my GP.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
That is the correct approach

Detailed Answer:
I agree, if symptoms persist you should see your GP, fatigue as well can be in the setting of anemia along with headache and lightheadedness.

I hope you get better soon.