Can Piriformis syndrome cause muscles spasms and pain in the legs and buttocks?
You need to see an ortopedist
I have read your question and I understand your concern.
The knife-like pain you describe and the upper posterior thigh muscle spasm are very likely to be from piriformis syndrome. The problem with your menisci is chronic and in your age I doubt that the specialist will recommend any surgical intervention.
First of all you need to loose weight, if you are overweight, because this can only exacerbate your knee pain.
You also need to drink a lot of fluids, eat fruits and vegetables, because very often muscle spasms and cramps come from electrolyte imbalance.
Regarding to the medicine you take, Tinazidine 2mg is a drug that should be taken 3 times a day. It helps with muscle spasm.
I would not recommend Advil, since a chronic treatment with NSAIDs can cause stomach ulcer and clotting problems. Tylenol is a better approach, but it often is not as effective and does not yield the desired effect, pain relief.
I strongly recommend you to see an ortopedist. This specialist will not how to deal specifically with the piriformis syndrome and the menisci problem. There may be also a change with Tizanidine class or he/she may add some other drug.
I hope I have been helpful.
If you have any other question, please feel free to write.
Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Piriformis syndrome and therapy
- Piriformis syndrome erectile problems
- Exercises to relieve piriformis syndrome
- Piriformis syndrome causes
- Piriformis syndrome testicles
- Sciatica pain and inflammation in hips and knee piriformis syndrome
- Musculus piriformis syndrom hallo
- Piriformis syndrome sleeping positions
- Foam roller for piriformis syndrome
- Piriformis syndrome and coughing
- What causes disorientation while on Phenytoin?
- What causes low platelet and hemoglobin counts while treating dengue?
- What causes bleeding from scrotum?
- Are Tegaderm wound dressings breathable?
- What causes pain in the left upper thigh?
- What causes severe abdominal pain?
- How can a wound on the side of the toe be treated?
- What causes blood in mucus along with cold?
- Suggest treatment for post-nasal drip causing green phlegm in the throat
- How can a lump on the back be treated?