Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What causes abdominal bloating and indigestion after every meal?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 559 Questions
I am 78 years old and in reasonably good condition for that age. I have been taking prilasec anti-acid 30 mg a day for years --lately even with those pills I have been awakened nightly with bloating. I started taking over the counter gas pills plus the prilasec . It got to the point that they didn't help either--so I quit everything and am trying to diet somewhat?? and taking only over the counter pills. My condition is to severe to do that as I have bloating and indigestion after every morsal. I have not gone to a doctor YET!!!
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Considering the anti acid and the gas pills did not bring you any relief, as a first next step I recommend you put yourself on a gut friendly diet. Probiotics, fermented foods, psyllium husk, fruit and veg, as well as avoiding certain foods such as beans and lentils, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage.

Something to consider is also avoiding milk and milk products, as you might have developed lactose intolerance, which is common in your age group.

If the suggested changes in diet do not bring relief in a few days, I recommend you see a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and fibroscopy.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes abdominal bloating and indigestion after every meal? 2 hours later
what is psylium husk--where is it bought Please detail what are" fermented foods". P.S had colonoscopy just last year--and only one polyp found
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:
Psyllium Husk is derived from the seeds of a plant, and is very rich in fiber. It can be found over the counter at CVS, Walgreens etc.

Fermented foods are foods like yoghurt, kefir, pickles, sauerkraut (fermented cabbage), coconut milk yoghurt, fermented soy, fermented herbal teas etc.

Did they recommend you repeat the colonoscopy yearly, since a polip was found? Is there anyone in your family that has a colon disease?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes abdominal bloating and indigestion after every meal? 29 hours later
One important fact I left out---this is accompanied by clearing my throat and sometimes a croupy cough just after I eat something. Also my stomach makes noise all day as if it's starving for food. I am not a sedentary person and only take two medicines a day-- heart(diovan) and prilasec. This stomach problem seems to have worsened after I had a sore on my leg that would not heal and was prescribed antibiotic for 20days at maximum dosage. Another symptom is my left shoulder seems to have pain in the socket intensified with bloat and gas. P.S went back on prilasec as my stomach seemed upset and sickish all day. still getting your food list together but thought I would fill in more blanks. Is everything you mentioned supposed to be bland or can it be prepared I.E--sweet pickles- sesame seed sour kraut etc????
P.S--they recommended in 3 years for another colonoscopy--
Yes my father had something that didn't involve the wearing a waste bag on his hip but the same type operation if I remember correctly???
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

the other symptoms you mention seem to be unrelated to digestive problems you are experiencing. With the additional information you provided I do not recommend consumption of fermented foods, but rather eat frequent small portions of food. Also, I would strongly recommend you do a fibroscopy to further investigate the stomach problems you relate. There is a possibility for a stomach ulcer, so please see a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

I hope this helps.
Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Geriatics

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor