• question-icon

What causes bruises on the arms, stomach and back?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had this rash on my arms, stomach and back for a couple of weeks. I'm trying to figure out what it is.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis: Bruising

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

I have gone through your query and seen the attached pictures.
The rash seen in the picture are bruises.
Bruises occur due to collection of blood under the skin.
Bruising can be traumatic or non traumatic.
Bruises due to trauma tend to be localized.
Since you are complaining of the rash in different locations we have to look into the non traumatic causes of bruising.
Such causes include medications like aspirin, Ibuprofen,warfarin etc, bleeding disorders like decreased platelets or coagulation defects like coagulation factor deficiencies.
Blood test including complete blood count, bleeding time ,clotting time and coagulation factor levels are warranted at this point.

Some.women also experience such bruising during the time of menstruation without any apparent cause and it is totally benign.However, it is important to rule out all the above mentioned possibility.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal