What causes blood in phlegm along with headaches and heartburn?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Lump
Question: My 15 year old daughter has been spitting up blood for 9 months. It has slacked up a lot but is still happening Atleast once a week. It was happening everyday for the first 6 months. She is getting headaches and heartburn. We have been to children’s hospital in XXXXXXX and all the specialist in our area. The ent doctor put her on Prescription heartburn medicine. It seemed to help some. Do you have any idea what it can be? They did 2 cat scans on her (one with dye) and everything looked good.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post reports of investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about your 15 year old daughter and understood your concerns.
Please give some more information for me to assist you better:
What is the time she gets blood in spitting - on tooth brushing in the morning/ anytime she spits/ details?
Is the blood fresh or clotted?
Quantity of blood?
Any other investigations like: that of blood - bleeding time, clotting time, prothrombine time, CBC with platelets?
Any ENT Endoscopy of nose and throat?
X-ray chest/CT scan of chest to rule out possible lung problems which also can give blood in spitting?
Which area of the body were CT scanned? Please post the reports if possible - attached to this query.
Any other relevant or not so relevant information may help me further to assist you better.
Heartburn is less likely in a girl of 15 - any stress or anxiety?
Headache: Always better to get a blood pressure checked and thorough clinical evaluation, examination and investigations as needed because headache again is not co common at this age.

Continue the medications of heartburn.
Awaiting for your feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj