• question-icon

What causes bronchitis while on Tetracycline?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a two week course of tetracycline for bronchitis and since have had symptoms of malabsorption - stomach distress and floating stool. I attempted a multivitamin and vitamin d and now have all those same symptoms + severe all body itching. As of now I have also vomited with a lot of bile 12 hours after having eaten soup. Help!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
An episode of gastritis could have been precipitated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query very carefully. It seems that the course of tetracycline has precipitated an episode of gastritis. As for the itchiness, an allergic reaction could be involved. Such an allergic component could be associated with bronchitis as well. Taking some antiallergic like Cetirizine or Benadryl (or possibly better ones like Fexofenadine or Loratadine which are prescription medicines) should help. You could also apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

Additionally, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.

* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabghul/psyllium husk or Senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.

* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully, that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha