Suggest treatment for chronic sinus infection

Dr. Zotaj Antoneta

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have chronic sinus problem in the head cavities and now seems to be around the eyes I am taking Claritin one every 24 hrs not seeming to do the trick flying to ny wednesday need a fast fix before I get on the plane what is your suggestion
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
some more details on treatment options

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Chronic sinus infection is generally caused by allergic sinusitis and having some treatment for allergy will help improve it. Claritin D has already Loratadine that is a drug for allergy and also something that reduces nasal congestion.

Nasal steroids might help also reduce the nasal edema and make you feel better soon.

The antibiotic should help if there is some bacterial infection. It is not clear what antibiotic you are using, probably amoxicillin by the dose of 500 mg, some patients improve with it and some need a bit stronger one called augmentin (amocixillin+clavulinic acid). You will need to take it 2-3 times a day.

Having some nasal saline solution lavage 2-3 times a day might help the process of clearing the sinuses.

Otherwise, it will be the time to help with healing. If you are worried about ears being blocked during the trip then make sure you chew gum and do swallow frequently to prevent any ear discomfort.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee