Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

142 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic sinus infection

Answered by
Dr. Zotaj Antoneta

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 984 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have chronic sinus problem in the head cavities and now seems to be around the eyes I am taking Claritin one every 24 hrs not seeming to do the trick flying to ny wednesday need a fast fix before I get on the plane what is your suggestion
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
some more details on treatment options

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Chronic sinus infection is generally caused by allergic sinusitis and having some treatment for allergy will help improve it. Claritin D has already Loratadine that is a drug for allergy and also something that reduces nasal congestion.

Nasal steroids might help also reduce the nasal edema and make you feel better soon.

The antibiotic should help if there is some bacterial infection. It is not clear what antibiotic you are using, probably amoxicillin by the dose of 500 mg, some patients improve with it and some need a bit stronger one called augmentin (amocixillin+clavulinic acid). You will need to take it 2-3 times a day.

Having some nasal saline solution lavage 2-3 times a day might help the process of clearing the sinuses.

Otherwise, it will be the time to help with healing. If you are worried about ears being blocked during the trip then make sure you chew gum and do swallow frequently to prevent any ear discomfort.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Allergic sinusitis

doctor1 MD

I came with a bad sore throaton Tuesday also fever went to pa diaginosed strep without swabbing put me on z pack. Took last one today still have major sore throat 100.8 fever today. Everything swollen, tonsils uvula lymphnodes wondering if it is...

doctor1 MD

Worried about candidiasis I am 31 smoker, recently I was under extreme stress During this period I developed what looks like viral pharyngitis / sinusitis I do suffer with allergic sinusitis in the past Anyway during that period of sinusitis I...

doctor1 MD

I used a topical and spray-form NSAID ( Diclofenac ) for a contusion on my toe a week back. The orthopaedician strapped my toes together and advised rest/ice/diclofenac, but there were no bony injuries. However, the NSAID and/or the strap plaster caused severe blebs/itching/ erythema over my foot. I removed the strap and stopped applying anything. One dermatologist prescribed Fexofenadine and Topical Fluticasone/Mupirocin. It did not get better. The blebs burst and are quite painful. I started a course of AmoxClav (initially for my sore throat, but will cover any soft-tissue superinfections, right?) and got a tetanus toxoid booster since these were on my feet and I m in India. Consulted another leading dermatologist who thinks I have severe eczematous contact dermatitis ... I ve a long history of childhood urticaria and allergic sinusitis as well. He has advised saline soaks for the raw area and put me on a tapered course of Omnacortil. Should I start it at all? How much weight gain can I anticipate? If I drastically cut back on the calories calories, will it affect the wound healing (the steroids adding fuel to it)? My med student brain is driving me insane and I m scared to bug any of my professors! Please help.

doctor1 MD

I have been sick since July 16. I am 73 years old. My symptoms were, I thought allergy related including voice change, sore throat, stuffy nose, hurting ears and drainage. I have been prescribed and taken azithromycin 250 mg, beclomethasone dipropinate 80 mcg, amox-clav 875mg, methylrednisolone 4mg 21, montellukast 10mg, fluticasone propionate 50 mcg, plus off the shelf drugs: mucinex 200mg, zantac 150mg, cetirizine 10mg, neilmed sinus rinse and hydroxyzine10mg for the itch or burning on my skin after I finished taking the methylrednisolone pak. What is your diagnosis? My e-mail address is: YYYY@YYYY . Thank you, Marta

doctor1 MD

I am a 26 year old male and I have recently tapered completely off Effexior 150mg XR. Before that even I have noticed a feeling of needing to pop my ears but being unable to for 6 years! I had all the scans in the world 6 years ago when I was 20 and was clear. I do smoke and drink but I eat healthy and workout strenuously at least 1-2 hours a day. I have recently developed bags under my eyes due to swelling and pressure behind my nose, forehead, temples, behind eyes, and my top row of teeth/gums. I have had my wisdom teeth out and had issues with clinching my teeth afterwords due to dry socket and intense pain. That was 5 years ago.k

doctor1 MD

I have a runny nose, sneezing, joint pain, some nausea feelings...sometimes I cannot breathe thru my nose . Today was especially bad when I was in my TV or bedroom and when I am in the kitchen most of my symptoms are much better----I have taken a spoon of childrens Loratidine and think that has helped....I wonder if I have become allergic to my carpet or furniture.... or can it be a food allergy???? Recently I was treated for a UTI and wonder if that might be related to having allergies...... Is there a cost involved in this consultation?????? If so a decline to have you reply.