What causes hives all over the body?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My boyfriend has had a sudden onset of hives all over his body with the exception of his neck, face and head on Sunday. He has been on Benadryl since Sunday afternoon and Benedryl and prednisone since Monday with very little relief. It seems to get better then it comes back with vengeance. Is there a shot that would help get rid of the hives any faster? Help! Very itchy and burning at times.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
I have noted your concern.
I would suggest Inj Dexamethasone 2ml(8mg), IM or IV. It is longer acting as compared to oral prednisolone.
In addition I suggest oral antihistamines e.g either cetrizine 10mg or loratadine 10mg once daily for a few days..
Topically he may use a soothing lotion e.g calamine lotion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad