• question-icon

What causes blurred vision, hypotension and speech impairment after taking Clonidine and Seroquel?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My daughter is having body chills, blurred vision, weakness in legs and inability to soeak. Happens for about 30 seconds to a minute and happening 3 to 4 times a day. her psychiatrist suggested she cut clonidine in half for 2 days and then stop it and cut Seroquel in half. Just been happening for about 3 days
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably she has developed side effects due to Clonidine and Seroquel.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. She is on 15 mg Lexapro, 0.05 mg Clonidine and 100 mg Seroquel for anxiety and depression.

Seroquel and Clonidine both are associated with side effects like blurred vision, hypotension, difficulty to speak etc symptoms. She probably developed these symptoms either due to Seroquel or Clonidine and this is the probable reason she has been advised dose reduction.

Thanks and Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 minutes later
should the "spells" stop after the clonidine is discontinued if it is causing it and will it take until she totally stops it to see any difference?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She should feel better even on reducing the doses

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Reducing the dose would reduce the side effects and she will feel better. Tell her to take more and more liquids like juices.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
Do you have any recommendations regarding any natural supplements to help with anxiety and insomnia.

Is melatonin safe to take with clonidine and Seroquel?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A lot of natural supplements can be used for anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Yes, Melatonin is safe to be taken. This too is a natural drug.

For anxiety and insomnia natural supplements like St. Johns Wort, Ashwagandha, Valerian root extracts etc can help. These are safe to be taken. But since she is on Lexapro so low doses of these supplements should be used in order to reduce risk of serotonin syndrome.

Vitamin B12, vitamin D supplements should be used also with antidepressants. These also help to improve the actions of antidepressants and anxiety drugs.

Thanks.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist