Is BP value of 118/64 a cause for concern while on Benazapril?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have copd. My blood pressure is usually around 126/70. The past couple of days it has been around 118/64. I also take benazapril. Should I be concerned? I've started a mild exercise program with a physical therapist for the past month. I am 70 yrs. old.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that everything seems to be OK with your blood pressure control. Your therapy manages to properly control your BP values.

You shouldn't be concerned as far as the above BP values do not interfere with your daily physical performance and no trends of obvious hypotension are present.

I recommend checking frequently your BP values several times daily in order to properly review the ongoing Benazepril daily dosage.

As regular physical activity exerts a beneficial effect on blood pressure control, probably a gradual daily dose decrease of the anti-hypertensive medication may be suggested.

Nevertheless, it is necessary to monitor your BP values for at least a couple of days up to a week to draw a clear conclusion.

In case you will have available BP values during the ongoing weeks, I could give a more concrete personal opinion on this issue.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri