What causes bluish black rashes on legs in children?

Posted on Thu, 9 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: my kid 4 years old, she got some rash starting with blue and balck color and spreding across the leg gradually. Please suggest what is it how to clear it out.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
fixed drug eruption.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query. I have seen the uploaded images.
It looks like fixed drug eruption.
It is common after taking some medicines like for fever, lose motion etc.
Please tell me is there any fever?, have you given any medicines?
If there is no history of medicines then it can be Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP) also.
Apply calamine lotion on it.
Give syp. Atarax 5 ml two times a day. Please get it prescribed by her doctor.
Get back to me with above answers.
Hope i helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 10 hours later
yes doctor, she got her 4th year shorts after she got fever after getting her shorts for one day. Doctor said she also have ear infection so suggested antibiotics which we are using right now but we haven't given yesterday(3/19) after noticing rash spreading across the leg.

Medications which we are using:
1. AMOXICILLIN 400 MG/5 MIL SUSP
2. BROMPHERNIR- PSEUDOEPHED-DM SYR

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
withold the medicines

Detailed Answer:

It nearly confirms the diagnosis of fixed drug eruption.
Nothing to worry, it will disappear after treatment.
You will have to give antihistamine like atarax syrup, along with steroid if needed, after discussing with your treating doctor.
It can happen to any patient, anytime because doctor can not predict beforehand that which drug will cause reaction and which will not. The causative agent needs to be avoided.
Also apply calamine lotion locally.

Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
HI sir,

Today we met my kid Doctor she said it's looks like internal bleeding inside skin and she took the blood for test we may get test results by evening at 5:00 PM today. And also she confimed it's not because of medicine she is using.

Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upload the reports please.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Take the opinion of a dermatologist, I will stick to my diagnosis of fixed drug eruption.

Bleeding under the skin might be there, but it is not the diagnosis, it is one of the reasons of bluish discoloration of the skin.
But for bleeding to occur under the skin there must be something like low platelet count, trauma, an autoimmune disorder etc.

Fixed drug eruption can also cause bleeding under the skin.

To confirm the diagnosis, you can ask your doctor to do oral challenge test or patch test.
See whether your doctor has changed the medicines or not because same medicine if continued can increase the lesion. (if it is FDG)

Waiting for reports to come.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician